Friday, March 18, 2011

Cures for Writer's Block

I've heard different methods, read author's advice on "how to deal" with this affliction. I still haven't found a sure-fire way to get past it, but I thought I would spend a brief post imparting my aquired knowledge. Who knows! It might help you.

1. I learned that a good writing friend of mine likes to write "fan fiction" in other to get over a writing rut. Sometimes it helps just writing about characters already established. And you don't have to work on a specific part like plot or scenery to progress the story. You can compose a dramatic monologue from a certain person's perspective or add a much-desired twist or create an alternate ending. In my friend's experience, it helps revive the creative mind. www.fanfiction.net

2. Every book I've read written by writers for writers says that when encountering a bump in the twisted, unsure road that is authorhood, the surest way to conquer is by just writing...something....anything. As long as you consistently put something on that blank page, an idea is sure to come. Some even say mindlessly typing "blank blank blank" or "word word word" or something of that effect will help. I think they mean that by going through the physical motion of writing, you're mind will soon follow. Whether this is true or not I can't certainly say, but on rare occasions it has helped.

In short, everyone has their own little trick when it comes to writing, whether it's dealing with creative difficulties or the order in which you compile your story. What techniques do you use? Any interesting theories or methods?

No comments:

Post a Comment