Sunday, August 14, 2011

Character Fatigue

Do you ever get tired of your characters? I've been working on one story all summer and, quite frankly, swimming around in the minds of figments of imagination is starting to get old...well, at least with the same two characters I've been working with. There's a quote that comes to mind: "Writing is a socially acceptable form of schizophrenia." I'm beginning to think this is true. I mean, what does writing fiction really boil down to?

1. Inventing people inside your head
2. Arguing with these "people" when they won't do what you want
3. Sitting in front of the computer talking to yourself

I once saw an interview with a somewhat famous screenwriter who said he plays out arguments and discussions with his characters while driving and people always look at him funny. So, I know it's not just me (except I don't do that in the car, usually on walks).

But aside from that, I think I just need a break from these two. The guy is a kind of anti-hero; he's perpetually sarcastic, dishonest, and sometimes just downright moody. Of course, his good attributes outweigh the bad (otherwise I wouldn't be writing about him), but his banter and secrets are starting to put me in a foul mood. The girl is nosy, sheltered, and overly theatrical, but it's part of her character... It works for them and I like the chemistry the two have as friends, but I just want a break! However, I know that if I do take a break, I'll probably end up letting this story fall by the wayside, which I definitely don't want. Maybe this will motivate me to write quicker just so I can have a change of pace...

Can you relate to this or am I just crazy?



I just found this picture that perfectly illustrates my point.

No comments:

Post a Comment